What they don't say...

One of the most rewarding things of being a parent (okay next to when they do something good) is all the funny and usually innocent things they do. I must document a few before they are soon forgotten.


This little girl's face cracks me up every day. Well except for the days that she doesn't. She has a high and squeaky voice and when she is singing at the top of her lungs and driving all uf us crazy I am always telling the kids "trust me. You would rather have her happy and singing then mad and crying." And I am totally not kidding.

Right now I can totally visualize her in my shopping cart. I really wish I had a pic of it. Imagine a child's look of sheer boredom. And the stuff she comes up with while she is bored ends up in either sheer humor or total humiliation.

Like the time we were walking through a grocery store and there was a rather large man yelling at his wife. I couldn't believe how rude and huge he was. Apparently neither could Kate because she blurted"Wow mom look at that man! He is really fat and loud!!"

He probably kind of deserved it. I still turned about five shades of red and quickly exited the aisle.

The other day when we were shopping at the craft store she needed to go to the bathroom. Which is totally expected any time we go shopping so we finally found a bathroom and when we get in the stall she said "well mom I really just wanted to go to the bathroom because this store is getting really boring."

She also told me the other day (in a very serious manner) at WinCo "Mom, that woman has a mustache!"

She also saw a man in a pink shirt. She talked about it all afternoon, following me as I was cleaning the house.

"Mom maybe that man didn't have any more blue shirts so he had to wear pink." It was like she was turning the entire concept of why any boy would wear pink in her mind all day, trying to come to terms with it.

She is not okay with men in pink, purple, earings or long hair. I hope this continues.


Preston is my creative child and I love all the wonderful notes and the fact that he is really thorough in his schoolwork. A few weeks back he had a "sick day" at school where they learned and colored a paper about germs.


I loved turning the paper over to find a picture of someone barfing.

The other day he stayed home from school he was a little bummed he had to miss the substitute. Then the next day he said,"Mom I'm glad I didn't go to school yesterday. Everyone told me the substitute was not nice and she looked like a unicorn!"
What?? Did she have a horn?

My poor Carter seems to be experiencing the awkwardness of pre-pre-teen stuff. He is still just so bubbly and imaginative in his play that it's hard to see some of the transformations.

Like the other day when he came in the van he asked if he and a friend could have a playdate. Then he said "Oh yeah- we can't say playdate anymore because people will make fun of us."

Then he came home the other day asking if his ears were growing bigger than the rest of him. Then he came home with a zit and we had to talk about zits. He is starting to get blackheads and I admit I am a zit popper. I am trying to refrain.
AND THEN he came home and we had to talk about taking the lord's name in vein. Apparently the kids say "OMG" (the entire phrase) all the time and it bugs him. Which I am very glad he told me but I know that we are probably going to be talking about more words soon. BIG sigh.


Seriously people. Starting to smell like this. Thanks Nirvana.


And let's not forget this cute little stink. She is starting to walk, clap, and play peek-a-boo. I've certainly got my hands full!!

Comments