MIA



If you have ever been to our home you have probably run into one of these guys. The one you have probably seen is Meiko (left) as Miles (right) does not usually come out until the kids are put in bed.

We got Miles when we moved into our first home, so he is about 9 years old. We got Meiko (his brother, from the same litter) when my friend was unable to care for him. These two have been in our family for a long time! I think they have been through a lot of trauma since the big move. They are very territorial and have had a hard time adapting to a new home, then we have another baby, then we put a door in the garage and train them to go out there. Well, did I not say how hard it has been to train them to go out in the garage?

Apparently one day Miles somehow decided to venture outside. Like I said, he likes to hide out and since we have moved here we don't really know what his "usual" hangout is yet and we thought he ran away when we first moved here too. But this time I just had a feeling he was missing for real. I told KC one night and he was like no I think I saw him. But he looks so much like the other cat it's hard to tell. Well the next day again I told KC I really have not seen Miles. Usually he is out and about at night and I haven't seen him. Well, finally KC agrees (this always happens this way! I think KC just likes to hear me say told ya so!). We begin a deep search for Miles in the house. I make KC look in the crawl space. The cats don't really seem to like it, not sure why it's pretty large probably 400 square feet below the garage that I thought they would love to venture through. Well KC checks every box and all throughout, no Miles. We look all throughout the house and nowhere to be found.

At this point KC is also convinced he is missing. I cannot believe how sad he was! Miles is his cat, he usually only goes to KC. That night it is super windy so he goes outside and searches for Miles. He woke up at one point of time that night and said, "The window wells!" Apparently he lost a cat once when he was a kid and that's where he was. He runs outside with his flashlight. No Miles. KC spends the next day on his lunch going to two animal shelters. No Miles. We are both feeling just awful and dreading the fact that we would have to tell our kids. We tell our kids and Carter is in tears begging us to put out some fliers to take around the neighborhood. We agree and then pray he will return.

Well the next day KC is cleaning up the yard getting ready to mow and they hear a meowing. KC comes in the house and tells me he thinks Miles is in the neighbors dog run in the dog house!! We tried to ring the doorbell to ask the neighbors if we can look. They didn't answer. We don't really know them yet so we felt kind of bad just going back but I'm sure they didn't want our cat anyways. It was Miles! We had to get a rake to pull him out of the dog house he was just so freaked out. We took him home and boy did he eat!! He had been missing at least 5 days at that point and he seriously had lost so much weight. He probably would have died if we didn't find him at that time. As much as I whine about our annoying cats I can't tell you how happy we were to find him!

And now he is back to his old tricks- drinking out of the toilet and making me crazy!!!


In other news, I took Carter for his follow up on his arm. They took the sling off and took an X-ray. The doctor called the radiologist and he said it looks like the fracture has slipped more. I thought it was both funny yet I wanted to die when Carter said to the Doctor, "You mean to tell me I wore this splint for two weeks all for nothing?!" So they casted it and we will go back in two weeks. Carter was so sooo disapointed. I told him at least it's before summer break and he can bring a Sharpie on his last day of school to get it signed and keep it as a souvenir.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm happy Miles is back. He's a cool cat