So yesterday was the big perinatology appointment. I was measuring 22 weeks and 6 days which is pretty close. I have to say the ultrasound tech was my favorite. She was really good at talking and telling you what she was measuring/seeing when she was looking. I hate it when they can't or don't tell you it makes me so nervous.
She was able to get several good images of the heart. She saw all the major vessels and they looked like they were plugged into the correct chambers. It looks like the baby has a 4 chamber heart. She got a pretty good view of the aortic arch. She ran the blood flow test (whatever that's officially called I don't know) and it does not look like any of the blood flow is constricted, which is what it should show if she had something similar to Kate's defect. She did say that finding a defect like Kate's before birth is a bit tricky to find. She did not see any ASD or VSD. The valves looked good. She was also able to see a 3 vessel umbilical cord. Sometimes you can have a 2 vessel which can cause heart defects.
She also did not see signs of cleft palate and she saw all the organs. She also got some way cute images of the baby's hands and feet. I wish she got some pics, they were the most detailed I have ever seen of any of my pregnancies. Our little girl was grabbing her feet like a monkey. She also got some really good images of her ears. So cute!!
The perinatologist then came in and took a few images. He then told us that everything they saw looked wonderful and he felt we had no reason to get any more images. He said if we wanted he would send us to Primary Children's to be seen by the cardiology dept. he would send an order. KC and I went home and thought about it and we know that the cardiologists are obviously going to be better at looking at the heart but we really felt confident in everything they found and feel like we would get the same results. Plus to be honest I love PCMC but we try to only go there when we have to and we are already going there soon for Preston and Kate. That should be enough fun. Plus I really don't think I will be totally reassured until the baby is born. Then I am going to really be on the Pediatrician to examine the heart then.
I must have been so tense because when the Dr. told us everything looked wonderful it was like a huge ton of bricks were taken off and I was trying not to bawl like a big boob in the office. I know that sounds so crazy and I think every mother just comes to expect a healthy baby and nothing less. But we have seen a lot of what can go wrong at PCMC and you realize what a miracle it really is that things do go right most of the time.
I am really happy with how things went at the appointment. I feel really blessed because I was preparing myself beforehand to try to handle myself if they started to tell me something was not looking right. Now I feel like I can relax a bit and just enjoy the rest of my pregnancy and just do normal things like buy diapers, get clothes ready and all of that fun nesting stuff!!!
She was able to get several good images of the heart. She saw all the major vessels and they looked like they were plugged into the correct chambers. It looks like the baby has a 4 chamber heart. She got a pretty good view of the aortic arch. She ran the blood flow test (whatever that's officially called I don't know) and it does not look like any of the blood flow is constricted, which is what it should show if she had something similar to Kate's defect. She did say that finding a defect like Kate's before birth is a bit tricky to find. She did not see any ASD or VSD. The valves looked good. She was also able to see a 3 vessel umbilical cord. Sometimes you can have a 2 vessel which can cause heart defects.
She also did not see signs of cleft palate and she saw all the organs. She also got some way cute images of the baby's hands and feet. I wish she got some pics, they were the most detailed I have ever seen of any of my pregnancies. Our little girl was grabbing her feet like a monkey. She also got some really good images of her ears. So cute!!
The perinatologist then came in and took a few images. He then told us that everything they saw looked wonderful and he felt we had no reason to get any more images. He said if we wanted he would send us to Primary Children's to be seen by the cardiology dept. he would send an order. KC and I went home and thought about it and we know that the cardiologists are obviously going to be better at looking at the heart but we really felt confident in everything they found and feel like we would get the same results. Plus to be honest I love PCMC but we try to only go there when we have to and we are already going there soon for Preston and Kate. That should be enough fun. Plus I really don't think I will be totally reassured until the baby is born. Then I am going to really be on the Pediatrician to examine the heart then.
I must have been so tense because when the Dr. told us everything looked wonderful it was like a huge ton of bricks were taken off and I was trying not to bawl like a big boob in the office. I know that sounds so crazy and I think every mother just comes to expect a healthy baby and nothing less. But we have seen a lot of what can go wrong at PCMC and you realize what a miracle it really is that things do go right most of the time.
I am really happy with how things went at the appointment. I feel really blessed because I was preparing myself beforehand to try to handle myself if they started to tell me something was not looking right. Now I feel like I can relax a bit and just enjoy the rest of my pregnancy and just do normal things like buy diapers, get clothes ready and all of that fun nesting stuff!!!
Comments
Crissy and Rob
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!