So as our kitchen saga has still (yes really!) been going on, KC and I were debating whether or not to hire someone to finish a spot that had to be redone on the floor (a long story I don't want to even think about, much less type). My sweet grandma hired a guy in her ward who installed her water heater. He left her a business card and we figured we would hire him to put trim around the tile and fix the other hole in the floor (like I said the kitchen is becoming TOO MUCH DRAMA!!!!). So the guy came over last week and he definitely had the gift of tongue. He talked waaayyy tooo much and after he fixed the hole in the floor he put an air filter in my home to trial for a week and gave me a long talk on clean air. Thanks. I get it, the guy is trying to make a small living by doing repair work and the real money comes from selling the filters. Oh how annoying. Plus when he finished putting the floor in we realized he didn't make the hole to put the vent cover in big enough so kind of annoying. He did an OK job on putting the floor back together but not as good as the original. Don't worry it gets worse!!!
So he never really tells me when he's coming to do the trim but I figured it would be a week since he had to pick up the filter and all. Another funny thing is we saw him at Sams club while we were shopping a few days ago and I wanted to approach him because he had also left his notebook and I wanted to tell him. But he was sooo busy chatting with some other guy so I just pointed him out to KC. Sure enough he comes over this morning. I pretty much kept the kids outside as the saw was loud and it was dusty. When he finishes the job he starts talking about the filters and I kindly turned him down. Then he asks if I know of anyone who is interested and he would make it worth my while for a referral. Ugh! Then he sees Kate and comments on how cute she is and just how old is she anyway. I tell him and he says "I have a granddaughter that age. I'm not to happy with my daughter because she got pregnant and didn't get married."
Oh.
THEN he says. "and he's a black guy. Now there are two things that don't mix in this world. Color and religion."
Ummmm.....awkward.
Okay, now the guy has gone TOO far. I am wondering, did he really see us at Sam's club and felt he must put in his two cents? No, I think he is just ignorant. I have no idea what to say. Finally I said ,"Well, my husband is part African American."
I think poor dumb repairman is backtracking, trying to look cool all the while.
"Is he really dark?" he asks. (Okay, what kind of question is this?)
"Well, yes you can tell he's part African American."
"Well this guy is really black" is his response.
Oh my goodness. Too late now mister. He asks if I want him to come back and stain the trim. No, thank you very much and I pay him and send him on his way.
Now I'm not really angry with Mr. Fix it man. He knows nothing about my relationship and life. I don't expect him to get it. Just really annoyed. Thanks for the big reminder that race is still an issue. I never really think about that difference between KC and I. I think some people might look at it like it's the biggest struggle in our relationship which is so hilarious. It wasn't like when I was dating I was out looking for a black man to have a relationship with and I have never questioned it because if anyone knows KC, I don't have to explain what a great catch I have. Should I have married a white man who is a looser instead?
It's OK. He doesn't understand nor do I expect him too. I just hope this has taught Mr. Fix it that he should think before he speaks. He did do a good job on the trim though and he fixed the vent hole (Calling it a "Senior Moment" when I pointed it out to him.) UGH! I think I better finish the kitchen before anything else goes awry!!!!
So he never really tells me when he's coming to do the trim but I figured it would be a week since he had to pick up the filter and all. Another funny thing is we saw him at Sams club while we were shopping a few days ago and I wanted to approach him because he had also left his notebook and I wanted to tell him. But he was sooo busy chatting with some other guy so I just pointed him out to KC. Sure enough he comes over this morning. I pretty much kept the kids outside as the saw was loud and it was dusty. When he finishes the job he starts talking about the filters and I kindly turned him down. Then he asks if I know of anyone who is interested and he would make it worth my while for a referral. Ugh! Then he sees Kate and comments on how cute she is and just how old is she anyway. I tell him and he says "I have a granddaughter that age. I'm not to happy with my daughter because she got pregnant and didn't get married."
Oh.
THEN he says. "and he's a black guy. Now there are two things that don't mix in this world. Color and religion."
Ummmm.....awkward.
Okay, now the guy has gone TOO far. I am wondering, did he really see us at Sam's club and felt he must put in his two cents? No, I think he is just ignorant. I have no idea what to say. Finally I said ,"Well, my husband is part African American."
I think poor dumb repairman is backtracking, trying to look cool all the while.
"Is he really dark?" he asks. (Okay, what kind of question is this?)
"Well, yes you can tell he's part African American."
"Well this guy is really black" is his response.
Oh my goodness. Too late now mister. He asks if I want him to come back and stain the trim. No, thank you very much and I pay him and send him on his way.
Now I'm not really angry with Mr. Fix it man. He knows nothing about my relationship and life. I don't expect him to get it. Just really annoyed. Thanks for the big reminder that race is still an issue. I never really think about that difference between KC and I. I think some people might look at it like it's the biggest struggle in our relationship which is so hilarious. It wasn't like when I was dating I was out looking for a black man to have a relationship with and I have never questioned it because if anyone knows KC, I don't have to explain what a great catch I have. Should I have married a white man who is a looser instead?
It's OK. He doesn't understand nor do I expect him too. I just hope this has taught Mr. Fix it that he should think before he speaks. He did do a good job on the trim though and he fixed the vent hole (Calling it a "Senior Moment" when I pointed it out to him.) UGH! I think I better finish the kitchen before anything else goes awry!!!!
Comments
I am glad I can teach my children that you look at a person for their values and character not based on what they look like.
Good luck with the kitchen and getting ready for your birthday!
best wishes,
Christina
from IHH
www.jacobsheart.blogspot.com
I love your slideshow BTW....Oh and I tagged you on my blog. hehe
Crissy
http://dagdagantwist.blogspot.com/